As summer picks up the heat, people are frantically searching for ways to cool off. If you too are searching for ways beat the heat, we have a juicy mango treat to soothe your taste buds. A triple layered mango firni dessert to be served after your Sunday meal is one of the ways to do that.
- Ripened Kesar (or Alphonso) Mangoes – 2
- Basmati Rice – 3 Table Spoon (tbsp.)
- Full-cream Milk – 750 ml
- Sugar (Optional) – 2-3 tbsp.
- Cardamom Powder – ½ tbsp.
- Sliced Almonds
- Saffron Syrup
- Ripened Mango in small pieces – 1 bowl
How to make saffron syrup?
Bring sugar, water and a pinch of saffron to a boil and immediately remove from heat. Let it cool as the saffron infuses for 4 hours and then strain it.
Triple Layered Mango Firni Recipe
- Wash the rice and soak them in ½ cup of water for 3 hours; grind it only enough to leave a slightly coarse paste. Peel and cut the mangoes into pieces and grind them to a smooth puree, but keep a few pieces aside for the bottom layer.
- Heat the milk in a thick bottomed pan till it starts bubbling. Then reduce the flame and add the rice paste and cardamom powder. Stir continuously until it forms a thick mixture. It takes approximately 8-10 minutes. If you are adding sugar, add it along with rice, but if you are adding condensed milk, add it after the mixture has thickened.
- Turn off the stove and allow it to cool at room temperature.
- Take 5-6 medium sized glasses or glass bowls to start layering. Start with the mango pieces we kept aside.
- Then add 2 tablespoons of firni in each bowl and 2 tbsp. of mango puree on top of that.
- Finally, add ½ tbsp. of saffron syrup for flavour and garnish it with sliced almonds.
- Now refrigerate the bowls and serve them chilled.
Remember to not grind the rice mixture to a smooth paste, let it be a little coarse as it would give a nice texture to the dessert. Also avoid Carbide Ripened Mangoes at any cost.
A bowl of this summer special firni is sure to leave your taste buds craving for more. Did you try this at home? Tell us in the comments if you liked it and how you prepped your own mango firni.